A Word from Sun Communities, Inc.
The Hamptons Golf & Country Club
1094 Hwy 92 West
Auburndale, Florida 33823
863-667-0275 (24 x 7 non-emergency)
877-786-6048 (after hours EMERGENCY only)
- Palm tree trimming begins this month
- Phil's special guest speaker was State Attorney Brian Haas who provided information on fraud, identity theft, and scams
- Brian supports three counties
- Fraud crimes are very challenging, due to the virtual nature of perpetrators
- If you have any papers with sensitive information (birthdays, credit/loan offers, social security numbers, etc.) - never throw it in the trash, garbage, or dumpsters, no
- Shred it or take it to facilities that will shred papers
- When receiving masquerading emails about problems with your account(s)--DON'T call the number provided or click on any links in that email
- Phone calls--if you don't recognize the number, DON'T answer; legitimate callers will leave a message
- Jury Duty scam--they say you missed jury duty and threaten you about paying to avoid a warrant; the court system does NOT issue warrants for missed appearance!
- Facebook and other social media--DON'T accept friend requests if you're already friends; set privacy settings very high so only your bona fide friends will see your posts and information
- Children's (grandkids) social security #s - monitor closely as there is a thriving black market for these numbers since most parents or the children won't check for credit for many years
- When your credit or identity has been compromised, monitor your credit report for MANY years; experienced thieves will lay low for a few years before using stolen identities
- Don't be scared - be SMART!