A Word from Sun Communities, Inc.
Since the fall of 2015, the following improvements were made in the Hamptons:
- Once movies are shown in the Clubhouse on Fridays, they may be loaned out for personal viewing. Stop by the Office to sign them out.
- There will be no "Phil" updates at Monday morning coffee in September.
- In response to several inquiries, Sun management is unable to install a second hand rail in the jacuzzi / spa. There is not enough room given the spa footprint.
- Bill pay issues have resulted in management again encouraging residents to instead complete the form to allow for automated debits from your account to pay your lot rent.
The problem with bank bill pay functions: your bank indicates the bill is paid but banks typically outsource this function to a third party who cuts/mails checks; the checks could be mailed late or combined in stacks that get delayed. Recently, one stack of Hamptons residents' checks (which would normally have been mailed to Sun) erroneously contained a check for Brighthouse on the top of that stack. Someone sent the entire stack to Brighthouse, who proceeded to deposit those checks into their corporate account. (Keep in mind, corporations do not have the time or inclination to handle hundreds of checks individually to catch such blunders, assuming someone has done quality control.) And banks handle so much paper that when they receive a bundle of checks for deposit, machines are often used to scan, read, and complete those transactions. Most of the time, the process works - and there are quality checks (pardon the pun) and controls in such financial systems - but NOTHING is perfect!
Think of bill pay as a PUSH technology: you are authorizing an entity to generate a check and push it out to the recipient - in this case, Sun. That process is rife with potential for delays because paper checks are generated and must be handled, managed, and mailed - plenty of opportunities for delays.
On the other hand, consider authorizing Sun to automatically debit your account as a PULL technology: they are legally limited to just the amount you indicate on the form for your lot rent, it's done electronically (quickly), they pull on the 5th or 6th of each month, you can check your statements/balances to confirm it, and your lot rent will never be late. Not a sermon - we're just saying to consider utilizing this automated (ACH*) authorization option. (*Automated Clearing House (ACH) is an electronic network for financial transactions in the United States. ACH processes large volumes of credit and debit transactions.)
- Please be alert to a recent ADT security system scam (posted on the bulletin board); Hamptons does NOT allow any institution to solicit in our community!
- Lights near the dog park will be fixed as soon as possible.
- The new fountains on the ponds on either side of the road as you enter the Hamptons will be operational when electrical connections are completed.
- The clubhouse TV (left side of the stage) will be reinstalled on the wall in the next day or so (following the 8/07 morning coffee meeting).
- Loose tiles around the pool's edge were reported. Phil will follow-up.
- There will not be a box for the Ledger publication at the Clubhouse. Phil indicated that our delivery options are either individual home delivery or a box. Home deliveries will NOT be interrupted so the box option is out.
- Phil will consider obtaining clear plastic sleeves (that usually can be torn off a small stand) into which you can place your wet umbrella. Benefits: no cramming of everyone's umbrellas into an umbrella stand, no leaving and forgetting your umbrella (you can keep it with you), and minimizing the danger of slippery, wet floors.
- In response to complaints about irregular trash pick up: (1) If you don't want to worry about when they come, then put your trash out the night before in a trash can. YES, this means you have to haul it in the next day but you won't have to worry about critters tearing a bag open that was left outside (and they WILL make a mess that you have to clean up). And you don't have to worry about whether the trash guys come at 7:30 a.m. or 5 p.m. By the way, they are allowed that amount of time because conditions arise...sometimes out of their control...so let's give them a break, okay? (2) If you don't want to fool with a trash can--meaning you will set your trash out in a bag on collection days--then accept the fact that pickup may be at inconsistent times. That means, YES, you might be jumping out the bed if you hear the trucks rumbling through at 7:15 a.m., or the bag you throw in the driveway may sit there until 4-5 p.m. (or whenever)!
- Phil will consider getting a portable microphone to pass around, for residents to speak into, during his monthly updates to residents at Monday morning coffee so others can hear the questions or comments.
- Please note a correction to the August Hampton Herald: The Hampton Grille restaurant will be closed for renovations Aug. 26 and will reopen Sep. 11, 2017 (NOT Sep. 14).
- October plans include: (1) asking Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd to talk about scams targeting seniors; and (2) having Walgreens provide flu shots on site.
- The pool will be closed for several hours (8 a.m.-2 p.m.) on Wednesday, July 19
- A significant number of new road trips and outings have been added to the list. These trips represent a great opportunity to have fellowship, get to know your neighbors, and expand your recreational horizons! Please notify Emily at the office sooner than later to reserve your space! Click HERE to see the updated list.
- No significant updates this month
- Friday afternoon is now "Movie Hour." Every Friday from 2-4 pm, beginning May 19, a movie will be shown (no "R" or "X" rated). Beverages and popcorn will be provided.
- Landscaping on cul de sacs and islands won't be done until the rainy season; otherwise the plants will die.
- We cannot use well water to fill the low ponds; that water is needed for fire protection.
- The pothole at the Community entrance has been repaired.
- Sun is transitioning responsibility for the "Homes of the Month" program to the HOA.
- The HOA is ordering a radar display sign. It will flash when the 15 MPH speed is exceeded. It will only store information about the number of speeding events ... no personal vehicle information. Once it is here in the community, Sun will manage its location/placement and maintenance issues.
- The HOA and Sun:
- continue to collaborate with Spectrum to eventually establish a dedicated Hamptons community TV channel (stay posted!); and
- will jointly acquire a permanent (electronic) sign to promote various activities.
- "No Solicitation" signs are on order
- An oscillating fan will be mounted on the wall in the exercise room
- A custom Pickle Ball fence has been installed; also, sod has been placed to fill in the patches around the court
- Sun agreed to re-install shelves in the table closet
- Road repairs are planned for May; approx. 25 spots have been identified, including the pothole
- Fencing and mulching are scheduled for Bayshore Drive
- Tree trimming at select holes will allow more sunlight, for a healthier Golf course
Since the fall of 2015, the following improvements were made in the Hamptons:
- All the greens on our beautiful golf course were renovated
- The pool deck was expanded with new pergola/lounge area
- New pool furniture
- Clubhouse completely renovated with a new roof and landscaping
- New clubhouses tables and chairs
- Roads were paved, sealed, and upgraded
- Parking lot was revamped
- Street signs were refurbished and/or replaced
- Tree trimming was completed throughout the common areas
- New billboards and signage at the front entrance
- Front wall was refurbished with new lighting
- Video cameras were installed at the clubhouse
- New company was hired to maintain the golf course
- New air conditioners were installed at the clubhouse and restaurant
- Fencing upgrades